Occasionally, we all set in when we’re needed and help out before or past our scheduled work hours. If you have made yourself available to work for your employer when technically “off the clock”, or if your employer has asked you not to report all of your house worked and then refuses to compensate you for work performed and time worked, they may be violating California law. Employment matters are complex and often require a skilled, dedicated and experienced employment lawyer like the law offices of Robert David Baker.

What is “working off the clock”?

Working off the clock can either be worked performed at the request of your employer before or after your scheduled shift, or can take other forms, including:

  • Your employer asking you not to report any time worked on off hours, like hours worked when “on call”;
  • Your employer asking you not to report time which, if reported, would result in your being owed overtime pay;
  • Your employer asking you not to take or not to report meal breaks allowed by California law.

You deserve to be paid for your hours worked – all of them. If your employer is refusing or has refused to pay you for all hours worked, you have a couple of options. You may file a claim and complaint with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, or you may file a civil lawsuit for back pay and other civil penalties. The law offices of Robert P. Baker can assist you with either option, and is proud to be a veteran Los Angeles area employment law specialist. Attorney Baker knows hour and hour and overtime pay legislation inside and out, and also knows all of the remedies that may be available to you under the law if your employer is acting inappropriately and illegally regarding your pay.

If you have any questions about work you have performed, and whether or not you should have been paid for your work and your time, call us today. California employees have rights under the law, and employers must abide by the law. If you have been treated unfairly by your employer, we look forward to hearing from you, and to getting you all the compensation you’re entitled to under the law. We’re conveniently located and available in person, via our online site, or over the phone.